Getting a right customised product and service classification for your own company is a tuff and time consuming job. You’d rather start with and leverage a standard and global one as the UNSPSC, available in several languages and evolving with user’s requirements. It’s already quite extensive with several thousand codes.
The United Nations Standard Products and Services Code® (UNSPSC®) provides an open, global multi-sector standard classification for efficiency and accuracy. Search the code on this website to locate commodity codes that can be used by your company. The UNSPSC offers a single global and standard classification system that can be used for:
- Company-wide visibility of spend analysis
- Cost-effective procurement optimization
- Full exploitation of electronic commerce capabilities
To know more about UNSPSC or download a classification just go to https://www.unspsc.org, the official UNSPSC website.
You can also download an excel version of the 4 level (segment, family, class, commodity) UNSPSC classification. Be aware it is a 3MB file.
You will find as well on https://www.unspsc.org/ very interesting papers and case studies related to spend management, eSourcing and eProcurement as follow:
- UNSPSC Tool Kit from GS1 Healthcare
- Aberdeen’s Spend Analysis Benchmark: Working Too Hard for the Money
- Enterprise Data Record Level Semantic Model of Enterprise Content
- Leveraging the Power of UNSPSC for Business Intelligence
- Spend Visibilty: A Guide to Effective Program Design
- Spend Management Visibility 101
- Hospital Supply Chain Savings
- Why Coding and Classifying Products is Critical to Success in Electronic Commerce (White Paper October 2001)
- Strategic Sourcing and e-Procurement — Which One, or Both?
- Best Practices in Spending Analysis — Cure for a Corporate Epidemic
- UNSPSC For Better Spend Analysis September 2006
- A UNSPSC Success Story…Mercy Ships
- A UNSPSC Success Story…Ministry Health Care
- A UNSPSC Success Story…University Health Care System
- UNSPSC Newsletter – February 2014
- UNSPSC Codeset Version 16- Press Release- March 4, 2014
- UNSPSC Newsletter – February 2015
- UNSPSC Road Map – 2015-2016
- UNSPSC NEHTA Position Paper
- Using e-commerce data to manage product admission at international borders
- Leveraging e-commerce product data or smarter cargo management